Illuminating the past – Enhancing the present – Inspiring the future

From Woolcomber Street, Dover

This lovely seventeenth-century ’Werra Ware’ plate was amongst the wealth of material recovered from one of the cess-pits in the North-west Area.  It hails from central Germany and bears the date 1614.

In his study of the pottery from Townwall Street, John Cotter noted an increase in imports of foreign pottery into the country between c 1550 and 1775 and a significant rise in ‘Dutch’ and German wares in Dover at that time no doubt reflected its port status. This dish falls right in the middle of that period.

Keith is sending regular updates on the progress of the excavation at Woolcomber Street.
Werra Ware plateWerra Ware plate



    open all | close all