Illuminating the past – Enhancing the present – Inspiring the future

Aerial reconstruction of Canterbury's second castleColoured aerial reconstruction drawing of Canterbury’s second castle in the early 12th century. Drawn by John Atherton Bowen © Canterbury Archaeological Trust Ltd.


Imaginative reconstruction of Canterbury CastleImaginative reconstruction of Canterbury Castle keep being built in the early 12th century. Note ‘old castle’ and Roman Worth Gate still standing in the town wall. Drawn by Laurie Sartin © Canterbury Archaeological Trust Ltd


20th century plan of Canterbury CastleLate 20th century plan of Canterbury Castle area showing both castle sites and location of excavations. Drawn by Jon Rady © Canterbury Archaeological Trust Ltd


Canterbury Castle reconstructionColoured reconstruction drawing of Canterbury’s first castle of the mid 11th century (a motte-and-bailey). Drawn by Laurie Sartin © Canterbury Archaeological Trust Ltd.


18th century engraving of Canterbury Castle

An 18th century engraving of Canterbury Castle (north-east view). The text bottom right reads: ‘THIS CASTLE stands in a valley and is supposed to have been built in the time of he Wars between the Danes and Normans. William l had it from Lanfranc the Archbishop by exchange. AD 1216 Louis the Dolphin of France, coming to aid the barons in these parts, had this castle delivered up to him. After which Hubert Earl of Kent was Constable in the time of Henry III. But from his time it seems to have remained in the Crown, and after Edward IV’s time to have decayed. AD 1609. The skeleton of this castle which courted the beholder to an admiration of its former strength, was granted by King James I to Sir Anthony Weldon of Swanscamp in this County Knight whose son and heir Ralph Weldon Esquire enjoyed it AD 1664′.


Engraving c. 1815 of Canterbury's second castleEngraving c. 1815 of Canterbury’s second castle showing a crosswall which no longer exists.


Aerial reconstruction drawing of Canterbury's second castleAerial reconstruction drawing of Canterbury’s second castle in the early 12th century. Drawn by John Atherton Bowen © Canterbury Archaeological Trust Ltd.


C.A.L.C. mapDetail from C.A.L.C. (Cathedral Library Canterbury) Map 123, c. 1640, showing the Canterbury Castle area.


    open all | close all